At Proven Dental, your dentist and his team do everything possible to preserve natural smiles. Dr. James Murphy joins with you to improve your at-home care and to provide state of the art preventive care in his Waukesha, WI, office. Really, it's so important. You can achieve a great smile and oral health when you work together.
Your plaque and tartar
Yes, we all struggle with the bacteria-filled residues which cling to our teeth and, if not removed, harden into destructive tartar. They cause dental decay, gum disease and even tooth loss. Frankly, you cannot remove it all with brushing and flossing at home. You need preventive care from your dentist at Proven Dental in Waukesha, WI.
Our preventive care and your smile
Teeth and gums last longer when you maintain them. Dr. Murphy individualizes each patient's care plan to include refreshing cleanings every six months, digital X-rays on a regular schedule and eyes-on exams to detect:
- Enamel wear
- Degrading restorations such as crowns and fillings
- Poor dental bite and alignment
- Jaw joint issues
- Oral cancer
- Gum disease
Plus, you'll receive instructions to improve your home hygiene routine and nutritional tips to make your diet tooth-friendly. Your teeth will look good and feel great after your hygienist:
- Scales them to remove plaque and tartar
- Measures your gum pockets (sulci) to determine your risk for periodontal problems
- Polishes your teeth
Is all this really necessary?
Yes, it is. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) offers this information about preventive dental care:
1. People with weak immune systems (diabetics and cancer patients as examples) require meticulous dental cleanings to avoid gum problems, decay and tooth loss.
2. Older adults are at risk for many oral health problems due to softer enamel, less saliva and numerous in-place dental restorations. In other words, you're never too old to benefit from excellent dental cleanings and exams.
3. School-age children who do not have dental sealants on back teeth experience three times the number of cavities.
4. Even people who wear full dentures have better bone and soft tissue health when they are checked twice a year by their family dentist.
Partner with your dentist
At Proven Dental, Dr. James Murphy and his staff enjoy their patients and want their smiles to thrive. Let us help you detect problems before they advance and build routines that preserve smile health, function and aesthetics. Phone our Waukesha, WI, office at (262) 650-3000 for an appointment.