Posts for tag: Emergency Dentist
How your emergency dentist in Waukesha, WI, can help in a dental emergency
Knocking out a tooth is a sudden, uncomfortable experience. You may be wondering if the tooth can be saved. The truth is, there are some things you can do to make it easier to keep a tooth alive, so it can be re-implanted.
Dr. James Murphy of Proven Dental in Waukesha, WI, offers comprehensive dental care, including emergency dental treatment for a knocked-out tooth.
If you or someone you know knocks out a tooth, remember to hold the tooth by the crown, not the roots, to avoid contaminating the tooth.
Then, the first thing you need to do is:
Keep the tooth moist. You can do this by:
- Trying to reposition the tooth back in the socket
- Placing the tooth in milk, because milk has proteins and sugars that are beneficial to tooth structure
- Placing the tooth in the space between the cheek and gum
Then, you need to seek out the services of your emergency dentist, who may be able to re-implant the tooth, but time is important. The longer you wait for treatment, the less likely it is you will be able to save the tooth.
If the tooth can’t be saved, your dentist can talk about options to replace the knocked-out tooth.
Modern tooth replacement solutions are excellent, offering both a natural look and excellent strength. You can consider:
- A dental implant, which looks and functions just like your natural tooth
- A dental bridge, which consists of prosthetic teeth, suspended over the space, and dental crowns which anchor the bridge on both sides
- A dental appliance, which can be either a flipper, a partial denture, or a full denture, depending on how many teeth you have lost
To find out more about how your dentist can help in a dental emergency, call Dr. James Murphy of Proven Dental in Waukesha, WI. You can reach him by calling (262) 650-3000, so call today!