There are several restorative procedures that can help rejuvenate and strengthen your smile, but dental implants are one of the best options to replace missing teeth. If you're interested, Dr. James Murphy at Proven Dental in Waukesha, WI provides dental implants.
Dental implants are one of many restorative procedures, like dentures and bridges. Dental implants consist of several parts:
- There's a titanium post that's inserted into the jawbone; it prevents deterioration of bone structure
- A screw that secures an abutment over the titanium post
- A crown matching the rest of your teeth is placed above the abutment; it completes your smile
Procedure in Waukesha
The procedure is straightforward.
- The titanium post is surgically inserted into your jaws to replace missing tooth root. It provides stability and strength, and prevents weakening and shrinkage of the jawbone.
- After inserting the titanium post, the dentist seals your gums and allows 3 to 6 months for osseointegration (a process of the post fusing to the rest of your jawbone) to occur.
- Afterward, your dentist re-opens the area above the titanium post, inserts a screw, places an abutment above the screw and secures a crown on top that matches the rest of your teeth.
Caring for Dental Implants
To take proper care of your dental implants, make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss every day, at least once before bed. A change in diet may also be beneficial. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables, and avoiding sugary foods to prevent the accumulation of plaque is good preventative care.
There are several advantages to dental implants:
- They restore bite and chewing function.
- They replace one, or multiple teeth..
If you have more questions, or concerns, about dental implants, call your dentist in Waukesha, WI Dr. James Murphy today!